Bangladesh Telecommunication Regulatory Commission (BTRC) has introduced the most updated and secure way of mobile SIM buying and registration in Bangladesh on 16th December, 2015. According to the new rules, a biometric fingerprint of the owner of the SIM is mandatory during buying the SIM. And National Identity Card (NID) is also mandatory. If anyone can’t show his/her NID card during buying a SIM, he/she have to show his/her other identity cards like passport, driving license etc. which must contain the owner’s photograph. The validity of that SIM will be 6 months. The person must submit his/her NID to register that SIM permanently within this 6 months. Otherwise, the SIM will be closed after the 6 months period. A person can buy as many as 20 SIM cards with one NID (conditions applied).
According to the BTRC, activated SIM card number in Bangladesh is currently 13,19,96,000.
Where can you buy SIM according to the new rules:
You can buy SIM cards from the operators customer care or retail shops according to the new rules.
Which documents will be required during buying SIM:
1. 2 copies recent colored passport sized photograph of the owner of the SIM.
2. Photocopy of National Identity Card (NID). The original copy is also required just for verification.
3. Backup phone number, email address etc.
4. If NID is not available, any other photo identity card like passport, driving license etc. (Without NID, the validity of the SIM will be 6 months. You must submit the NID to register the SIM permanently. Otherwise, the SIM will be closed after 6 months.)
Some important points during SIM Buying and Registration:
1. Always buy a SIM card yourself. Don’t send any other person to buy your SIM card. It is not possible according to the new rules.
2. Always keep your original NID card with you during buying a SIM card. They may ask you to show your original NID if the photocopy is not clear enough or there is any confusion.
3. The photographs must be colored, passport sized and recent ones (not older than 6 months).
Thanks for reading this post.