EPI Schedule Bangladesh 2019: Latest Vaccine List & Timetable

EPI stands for Expanded Programme on Immunization. It was started worldwide by World Health Organization in 1974. It is the process of increasing the number of vaccines in the vaccinations schedule in order to provide a wider coverage against infectious diseases among the population of the whole country. The EPI schedule in Bangladesh is here:

EPI SCHEDULE IN BANGLADESH:

EPI Schedule Bangladesh 2018 Latest Vaccine List & Timetable

6th week of age: BCG, Penta 1, OPV 1, PCV 1
10th week of age: Penta 2, OPV 2, PCV 2
14th week of age: Penta 3, OPV 3, IPV
18th week of age: PCV 3
9th completed month: MR (Measles and Rubella)
15th completed month: MR (Measles and Rubella)

DETAILS OF EPI VACCINES:

BCG: First of all, to protect the child from Tuberculosis bacillus, we use Bacillus Calmette-Guerin or BCG vaccine intradermally. The vaccine consists of only one dose, usually given in the latest EPI schedule, from the first day after birth up to the 42nd day (6th week of age). But, you can give at any time after this period also.

OPV: To protect the child from Poliomyelitis, we use Oral Polio Vaccine or OPV. And the vaccine consists of 3 doses, at the 6th, 10th and 14th weeks of age.

Penta: Penta (means 5) contains 5 vaccines named Diphtheria, Pertussis, Tetanus, Haemophilus Influenza and Hepatitis-B vaccines. It also consists of 3 doses, given intramuscularly at the same time as OPV.

PCV: Pneumococcal Conjugate Vaccine or PCV has 3 intramuscular doses at 6th, 10th and 18th week of age. As a result, It protects the children from Streptococcus Pneumoniae bacteria which causes Pneumonia.

MR: Measles & Rubella vaccine is given subcutaneously in 2 doses at the end of 9th and 15th months of age to protect the child against these 3 diseases. Previously, MMR was the name of this vaccine (the extra M was for Mumps). Now, the authority has stopped giving Mumps vaccine. So, the patients of Mumps is increasing day by day.

Therefore, EPI Schedule has brought an astonishing achievement in the health sector in Bangladesh. As a result, Bangladesh has been able to reduce the above-listed diseases to a greater extent than many developed countries in the world. So, we all should follow this schedule and protect our children from these deadly diseases.

Thanks for reading this post.

58 thoughts on “EPI Schedule Bangladesh 2019: Latest Vaccine List & Timetable”

1. Hi. Amar babu er 3 (5/12/16) EPI dose e (Penta + OPV) deoa hoyeche. But, IPV dey nai. Upazilla Health Complex, Nandail e naki IPV supply nai. IPV na dile kono shomossha hobe ki na ba MMCH e deoa jabe ki na.

• Yes. As OPV is composed of live viruses, it may cause polio itself in some cases. IPV is composed of killed viruses and prevents this hazard. So, you should contact nearby Surjer Hashi Clinic or other hospitals for it. I am not sure about MMCH. For more information, you can read this article.

2. Good morning Dr. Sujon Paul. Today Polio vaccine is being given in our health complex. The problem is my son and I went late. They were gone @ 12pm. Now will there be any problem for my son? My son is 9 months running.

3. Dear, good to develop the schedule. But, Bangladesh is practicing in routine EPI MR (Measles & Rubella) vaccine, not MMR vaccine.

4. Good morning. Today I have taken my baby for her 1st vaccine. She is 46 days old. But, when the nurse pushed injection on her arm, it doesn’t properly inject. As a result, all the liquid getting out. The Nurse told us if it doesn’t work they will inject again after 3 months. Actually, I am worried. What shall I do? Please suggest me. How can I understand whether it works or not?

• In the injection site, a characteristic mark appears. It is a sign of the injection. But, It can also be the same if some of the vaccine enters that site. So, it’s you and the nurse who saw the amount of injection getting out, only know how much vaccine have entered in the body. If you are sure of the amount getting out, you can inject that exact amount in the exact site without any further delay. If you are not sure, then consult with a child specialist for next dosing schedule.

5. My son was given BCG vaccine on the 14th day of his life. The health worker told that there will be a blister formation. But, the blister is not formed yet. Does he need BCG vaccine again?

• A raised blister will appear in most people vaccinated with BCG, but not everyone. If your son did not have this reaction to the vaccine, it does not mean that he has not responded to it. There’s no need to vaccinate with BCG a second time.

6. My sister’s baby is 9 months & 12 days today. They didn’t remember that the baby got PCV 3rd dose or not. Because of empty card, they are now confused whether the baby need another dose now or not? Also thinking if this dose will be extra, is there any harm?

7. Hi, I am Dr. Jasmin. Actually, EPI schedule provides MR1 And MR2 vaccines, not MMR. MMR is actually given at the 15 months of age. Thank you.

8. Is there any health problem if newborn baby gets its first vaccination at 44th day of birth? Kindly inform me.

9. My baby got Penta 1 at the right time but at that time PCV 1 was not available. So he missed it. I’m worried how I will be adjust it. To take vaccine is painful for child. Can I take PCV 1 with Penta 2?

• You have not mentioned the current age of your child. If the Penta 1 dose was given not too long ago, you can give the PCV 1 vaccine as soon as possible. Then continue the schedule as given in the above post.

10. Hi, my baby girl is now 15 months and 6 days old. I have completed these scheduled vaccines. But there are other vaccines also for further. Now my question is whether should I give those vaccines? Which are needed for further? From where? Please inform me all these.

• Yes, you should go for those vaccines in nearby hospitals or Surjer Hasi Chihnito Clinics or Ma o Shishu Clinics. These vaccines are also important for preventing those diseases.

11. I wonder seeing MMR vaccine in EPI. I know that MR vaccine is now available. So, are you sure that MMR is available. Please, correct the thing in the website.

12. Thank you, Dr. Sujon Paul. Hope your update is correct. Can you give me an update for other vaccines not included in EPI vaccine What is recommended by Bangladesh Pediatric association?

13. Hi Doctor Paul, today I had given for my son vaccine dose no 1 (Penta, PCV and OPV) at the age of 6 weeks. After the vaccine, he is crying a lot. So what should we do now? Please let me know.